Everything you need to know about doing a ventrogluteal intramuscular glute injection.
Gluteal injections are the most common type of injection used for intramuscular injections, especially for testosterone replacement therapy.
In today’s full guide and demonstration video, I’m going to explain everything you need to know about doing your own glute injections.
We’ll look at the difference between ventrogluteal and dorsogluteal injections, and why the ventrogluteal site is superior for intramuscular injections.
You’ll also learn what equipment exactly is needed, how to prepare your injection and how to give yourself a glute injection.
Ventrogluteal VS Dorsogluteal – What’s The Difference?
You get two types of gluteal injections – ventrogluteal and dorsogluteal injections.
Below is a diagram illustrating the different glute injection sites.
The ventrogluteal injection site is located on the gluteus medius, which is located right at the top outer edge of the glute muscle, near the hip, waist and belt-line.
The dorsogluteal injection site is located on the gluteus maximus – the main part of your butt. The injection is typically given in the upper outer quadrant of the glute.
Why Ventrogluteal Injections Are Superior
The Ventrogluteal injection is the preferred glute injection site, as it is the least painful injection site.
Is is also one of the safest intramuscular injection sites, as it is away from any major blood vessels and nerves, including the sciatic nerve.
It is for these very reasons that this is the most common injection site used by nurses and doctors for intramuscular injections, especially those administered for TRT (testosterone replacement therapy).
It is also my number one go-to injection site for my TRT injections. Personally, I usually rotate my injection sites and make use of deltoid injections and quad injections, but ventrogluteal injections make up the majority of my injections.
Equipment Needed For Your Gluteal Injection
Beginners may have many questions when it comes to glute injection supplies: What is the correct needle length? What is the right needle size? 1 or 1.5 inch? 23 or 25G or other?
Below is a list and diagram of the equipment and supplies you’ll need to administer your own injection.
While there are many ways to skin a cat, this is the most common equipment used for a typical glute injection.
- Your testosterone ampoule or vial
- An 18G 1.5 inch needle (in pink) for drawing (not necessary can draw with 23G too, but 18G makes drawing easier)
- If you’re lean or shredded, 25G 1 inch needle will be fine (this is the orange needle)
- For everyone else, the blue 23G 1.5 inch is best.
- A 1ml Syringe
- Alcohol swaps/pads for cleaning the injection site before and after the injection
- A Sharps Bin or suitable container for disposal of sharp objects
To prepare your syringe, needle and medication for your injection, please see my Injection Preparation Guide.
How To Find The Ventrogluteal And Dorsogluteal Injection Sites
Finding the injection site for both ventro and dorso gluteal injections can be tricky.
In the following photos, I’ve highlighted the difference between the ventro and dorso gluteal injection sites.
As you can see, they’re quite close, but the ventrogluteal site is right at the top of your butt, near your waistline, while the dorsogluteal site is in the middle of your glute.
The ventro injection is done on the gluteus MEDIUS, while the dorso injection is done on the gluteus MAXIMUS.
Typically doctors would have you lie down on your side to give you this injection. But that’s not necessary. You CAN do it sitting or standing and give it to yourself. Just twist to the side, as you’ll see.
An Easier View Of The Ventrogluteal Injection Site
To make things easier, I have offered up my own butt for demonstration purposes, and decorated it in nice bright colors.
I have highlighted the injection area with colored markers, showing the waist and belt line in RED, as well as the injection site in BLUE/GREEN. This is where we do the ventrogluteal injection, marked with a number 2.
Now, you could also do a dorsogluteal injection in the area marked with black and a number 1. But for today’s, demo we’re focusing on the ventrogluteal injection.
Just remind yourself that this is a glute injection, so wherever you inject, it should always be on your butt. The ventrogluteal injection site is right on the top outer edge of your glute, as seen in the picture above.
This is where we’ll inject. Just remember to relax the muscle when injecting.
One good thing about the ventrogluteal injection, is that you DON’T have to pull your pants all the way down.
So let’s move on to doing the actual injection.
How To Do A Glute Injection
- Locate injection site as described earlier. Today we’re doing the ventrogluteal site marked with a 2, but you could also do the dorsogluteal site marked with a 1.
- Take an alcohol swab and wipe the injection site for a couple of seconds
- Take the prepared injection and remove the safety cap, making sure not to touch the needle
- Twist around and insert the needle into the injection site at a 90 degree angle. BEFORE pushing the solution in, we need to aspirate. Pull BACK on the plunger and make sure you see some air enter the syringe, NOT blood. If it’s air, you’ve aspirated correctly and can continue. If you’d like more information on aspiration, please see my video guide on Aspiration.
- Push down on the plunger slowly until all the medication is out
- When done, remove the needle and replace the safety cap
- Wipe the injection site with an alcohol pad. It may or may not bleed a little. Don’t worry if there’s a little blood. This may happen from time to time.
- Finally, don’t forget to dispose of your sharp objects into a sharps bin or appropriate waste container.
You can also watch the full glute injection guide below, which covers everything discussed in this article, and offers a full demonstration starting at 5:01.
That’s it. Congratulations! You’ve done a ventrogluteal injection.
If you still have any questions or something is unclear, just leave your question in the comments section below and I will reply.
Otherwise, if you had great success, please leave a comment below and let me know.
Till next time.